Backing up the Registry
To export all or part of the registry to a text file:
- Click the Start button, then Run and type REGEDIT (If a User Account Control dialog appears, click the Yes button)
- Click File, Export
- In the Export Range area near the bottom, click All to back up the entire registry, or click Selected Branch to back up only a particular branch of the registry tree. (We recommend All unless you know what you're doing)
To import some or all of the registry:
- Click the Start button, then Run and type REGEDIT.
- Click Registry, and then click Import Registry File.
- Alternatively you can right-click on a REG file and select "Merge" which will import the file into the registry.
- The .reg files created by exporting can be edited by any text editor.
- For Help on an item, click ? at the top of the dialog box, and then click the item.